This is an automatic translation by google. If you find errors, please let us know.
Algarrobo, municipality of the Province of Málaga, Judicial Party of Torrox, is located in the foothills of two hills, almost united, immediate to the Algarrobo River, that in the antiquity and until ends of the last century received the name of river Cold, which Through a glen goes to the Mediterranean. Overview of Algarrobo at the beginning of the 20th century
To know this beautiful village you have to leave little more than 3 kms. The N-340 road and enter the MA-103.
Surrounded by the Algarrobo River and the Rio Seco, these places were from the earliest times the seat of the most disparate peoples, as evidenced by the remains found in the recent excavations carried out by Professors Schubart of the German and Niameyer Archaeological Institute of the University of Colonia, together with a team of Germanic and Spanish scientists, who since the year 1.967 have been carrying out research in the area of Trayamar, Hill Morro de Mezquitilla and the mouth of Rio Vélez.
The settlement of the term is witnessed from prehistory. In the location of the Morro de Mezquitilla there existed an Iberian city or of the last time of the Age of Bronze (second half of the III millennium a. Subsequent to these, the Phoenicians settled in these lands leaving one of the best deposits existing in the West. The studies carried out by Professors Schubart (from the German Archaeological Institute) and Niameyer (from the University of Colonia) focused on two specific points of our municipality, the Morro de Mezqutilla and Trayamar. In the first of them and under the Iberian city were rest of Phoenician cities dated in centuries VII and VI a. C. The location of these cities was on a hill at 30 mts. Of height to the east of the basin of the river Algarrobo. When the Phoenicians settled in it was a species of peninsula located at the entrance of an old marine cove that with the passage of the years and due to the deforestation and the suffering suffered in the zone said cove suffered a strong fluvial sedimentación that moved the Populated by the coastal zone. Just in the same line but on the other side of the river was the Necropolis of Trayamar dated in the middle of the VII century a. C. This is a hypogeal (ie underground) burial of the communal type with dromos or corridors in ramp that allowed to lower the corpses or remains calcined or incinerated. In the excavations have been found numerous remains and amphoras of different types and adornments of great artistic and archaeological value. The type of work, the costs they incurred, the costumes …, compared to “well type” tombs, denote the existence of a clearly distinguished social group, of a privileged sector.
They also passed through our territories of Algarrobo later Roman, which gave a new life to the town by founding a colony a little more to the east with a prosperous life. With the fall of the Roman Empire the German invasions took place that forced a Spanish-Roman nucleus to enter in the mountains to look for refuge Thus establishing the current location of the municipality. Subsequently it is the Arabs, who once again push the people and their activities. It is to them that we owe the name of our town that began by calling itself Garrobo and seems to have evolved to the present, Algarrobo. Our people, like those who were then in the Axarquía, are under the shelter of the Castle of Benthomiz (11th century). The Muslim town counted on a small urban nucleus formed by a mosque and a few houses arranged around her, with presence of walls that protected it. From this time we have the layout of its narrow streets, winding, steep and with a certain labyrinthine character that were so designed to be able to defend itself against possible invading attacks.
With the surrender of the city of Vélez to the troops of the Catholic Kings, in April of 1487, Algarrobo like other towns surrenders arms before the catholic king that in 1492 grants D. Pedro Enríquez, advanced major of Andalusia, to Algarrobo along with Salares and Benascalera in señorío. So many centuries go by. With the reconquest, the Moriscos were released, but for taking part in the uprising were expelled, repopulating Algarrobo with old Christians and families from other regions.
It was not until July 18, 1821, when the request of the town of Algarrobo to form a Constitutional Town Hall, that is, at the time of the liberal triennium (1820 – 1823), was initiated. It is also in this century when the French invade Spain and a certain Segovia along with a group of algarrobeños ambushes in the slope of Cómpeta to a French patrol annihilating to all its components. This event reached the ears of the French commander in Velez who ordered the village to be burned. When the soldiers were ready to carry out their mission, the neighbors led by the mayor went out of their way to persuade the detachment that the attackers were fugitives from other lands and asking them to intercede with the French Governor in Malaga to tow the order of the French commander in Vélez. They got a margin of 20 hours for this purpose. A young man from the town volunteered at that time to go to Malaga, to request an urgent hearing, to convince the Governor and to bring pardon in time to avoid the burning. Legend has it that in his mission he burst two horses. Of the second half of century is the bandolero Manuel Melgares Ruiz (3 of April of 1837) of whose departure Luis Muñoz Garci’a was part known like “The Bizco of the Borge”, Manuel Vertedor Garci’a; Antonio Duplas, nicknamed ‘The French’; And Pepe “the Portuguese”. Although El Bizco de el Borge is the leader of the gang, Melgares is in fact due to his cultural level. The theory apparently most accurate about his end is that he was assassinated by his own gang in 1887.
At the end of the 19th century it suffered the effects of cholera and phylloxera, which destroyed numerous vineyards. On December 25, 1884, an earthquake with an epicenter in Arenas del Rey, Granada, caused great damage that forced the inhabitants to move to the surrounding areas. In 1905 lighting came to the urban nucleus. On April 14, 1931 comes the Second Republic and Algarrobo sees as one of his neighbors D. Enrique Ramos Ramos becomes Minister of Labor. Thanks to that he never forgot his town in that same year arrives the telephone, installing the first line in the City council.
The Civil War did not, fortunately, affect the life of the Algarrobeños, being its take the 9 of February of 1937. In 1975, Algarrobo receives the provincial prize of beautification; And on April 19, 1979, the first municipal elections were held.